Are you looking to obtain a new Driving License in South Africa? and wanted to know the full guide on how to apply for a driver’s license in South Africa?
Well, let me tell you something. getting a Driving License in any city in South Africa is a very task to do. You can easily do it by following a simple process.
You just need to invest some time in it and collect some documents for the process.
To know everything about this topic, I have read plenty of articles and blogs and visited the official websites of DLTCs. Also, I have many friends who currently live in South Africa.
I collected every possible information from everyone who belongs to South Africa and comprehensively knows the process of getting a driving license in the country.
So, if you want to have this knowledge of applying for a driving license in South Africa, stick to this article.
After reading this article, I am sure you won’t need to go anywhere!
Obtaining A South African Driving License
Before going further, you must understand that there is a total of 9 provinces in South Africa. So you might find a little few differences in all the processes of all 9 provinces.
But don’t worry! The main process is the same in all the provinces! you just might need to go through some extra procedures.
Learner’s License Before Driving License
To get a Driver’s Licence in South Africa, you must have a learner’s license. Only then you can apply for DL. For that, you must visit your nearest DLTC (Driving License Test Centre). Follow the procedure to get a learning license first.
And then you can start the procedure for a driver’s license in South Africa.
Please refer to this article, if you want to know more about learning licenses in South Africa.
Here is the article: How To Apply For Learning License In South Africa?
Required Documents For South Africa Driving License
- Your Learning License
- Your ID Proof (Any Identity Document)
- Your Address Proof (Utility Bill Or Electricity Bill)
- If you have a utility bill, not in your name, you have to make an affidavit with the original owner of the particular utility bill. In your affidavit, it should be mentioned that you belong to the address with the consent of the owner.
- A Booking Fees Amount (Depends On Vehicle Type)
- 10 Photographs (Depends On Different DLTCs)
That’s it! These are the documents you will need to apply for a driving license in South Africa.
If any middlemen ask you for any other documents such as your banking details, or credit card details, just don’t give any response to them.
What Do You Need To Do?
- Simply go to your nearest driving license testing center. and look for the license department.
- Now grab a driver’s license application form, and fill in your essential detail on the form.
- Then, submit this form, and pay the booking fees. Do not forget to take a receipt of the payment.
- Now you will get an appointment date for a driving test in DLTC. so you must wait for the driving test.
- Now, on the test date, you should carry all your documents. especially your booking receipt and learning license.
- An authority officer will check and verify your document, and he will send you to the driving examiner.
- The driving examiner will conduct a driving test for you, which you must pass if you want to obtain a driver’s licence.
- Once you pass the test, you will be sent to the final EYE TEST immediately.
- A qualified doctor will check your eyesight.
- Once all this completes, finally, you will be handed your temporary driving license on the same date.
That’s All!! This is the procedure you will need to go through to get a driving license in South Africa.
Different provinces in South Africa may have additional steps to follow. so you need to keep that in mind. You can visit your state’s official website for more information.
The Original Driving Licence South Africa
The Authority of South africa will take hardly 6-7 weeks to deliver your original driving ltoense at your postal address.
If you still don’t receive your DL withiperiodof time, you have to visit your DLTC once again.
But don’t worry! This happens in one-of-a-kind circumstances.
Until your original license delivers to your address, you can use your temporary license without any doubt.
Application For Driving License In South Africa
You will need a Driving License Form called DL1. you can find this form at any DLTC center. and you can download it from the official website of the DLTC.
You have to fill in basic detail such as,
- Your Full Name
- Your Address
- Mobile Number
- Learning License Details
After completing the form simply submit it to the specific window in the license department to move the process further.
Now there are some other questions that can be hovering in your mind. like- Can a foreigner apply for a driver’s license in SA?
Do you want to know that too? read the section below.
Driving License For Foreigners in SA
Yes, any foreigner can drive any motor vehicle he wants on the roads of South Africa. He just needs to follow some rules and regulations of the country.
Before that, he has to check if he fulfills the criteria to get a driving license. If yes, he or she can continue with the further process.
Two ways how foreigners can have a driving license in South Africa.
#1. South African Driving License For A Foreigner.
#2. An International Driving License.
Let me explain these..!
A Foreigner’s Driver License
This is very important to understand that if you have lived in South Africa for more than one year as a foreigner, your current foreign driving license will be null and void.
You must covert this license to a South African License.
Now, if you have a proper residence permit, and you want to live in the country for more years, you need to convert your license immediately.
How to do that? Simply follow the steps below.
- Visit your province’s DLTC. (the province in which you have got your residence permit).
- Head to the license department, and Fill out the application form for a driving license.
- Submit All your documents such as your ID proof, your black and white photos, your current foreign driving license, your residential permit, and your address proof.
- If you do not possess any home in South Africa, then you will need your landlord’s address proof attached to the affidavit which contains all the information about the agreement between you and your landlord.
- Finally, book an appointment for the test by booking the fee amount.
- Then appear on the test date, and pass it.
- Once you do this, your temporary license will be handover to you.
- And within 5-6 weeks you will get your foreign license converted into an official South African License.
So that was the rough process. If you still do not understand anything. I would strongly recommend you visit your province’s DLTC center. They will guide you thoroughly.
An International Driving License
An international driving license allows you to drive in any country you want without getting into any trouble with the authorities. But, you have to understand that IDP (international driving permit) is only for those foreigners who are frequent travelers.
I mean, if you are planning to visit South Africa for 6 months and then you will be again flying to another country, in this case, you should apply for the Internation Driving License.
You can get an international driving license from any country and for any country.
Suppose, you live in India, and you want an IDP for South Africa, you can do that by following a simple procedure.
By the way, I have written a few articles about International Driving License.
Please take a look!
Some other questions regarding Driving License in South Africa.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is driving without a license a criminal offense in South Africa?
Can I do a driver’s licence booking online?
What is the procedure for drivers licence renewal in South Africa?
Is Driving in South Africa with foreign licence allowed?
See guys, I have worked in the automobile industry for more than 6 years. and I know how people face many problems while getting a new driving license.
I have seen so many people asking, Is it easy to get a license in South Africa?
Now I can proudly say that, Yes, the procedure of getting a license in South Africa is pretty simple. you don’t need to carry a huge burden of documents. you will just basic documents, and you are good to go.
If you find difficulty in any method that talked in the sections above, please contact your province’s DLTC (Driver’s License Test Center).
I hope you liked this article! If you do so, please share it with your people.
And if you think that I should have added some more to this article, feel free to suggest to me some new questions and your doubts regarding this topic. I will surely add them to this article.
If you want to connect with me, here are my social handles. I would love to talk to you.
I also appreciate it when you guys read my other stuff related to driving licenses.
Here are the other topics:
- Apply Online For Driving License In India
- Learning License In India
- Renewal Of Driving License In India
- Online International Driving License In India
- Tips To Pass Your Driving License Test.
- Sarathi Parivahan Full Guide.
1 thought on “How To Apply For Driving License In South Africa 2022?”